Thursday, October 24, 2013

WAYNE-scotting

In my never endless quest to recreate the Southern Plantation of my dreams....
Is that me or Scarlett O'Hara? Doesn't matter.

OF COURSE I insisted suggested wainscoting (which I pronounce WAYNE-scotting, the second syllable like the dog breed which is probably wrong) which is a type of molding:
There's just something about all those little boxes
I was promptly shut down by the Yankee, which I have mentally chalked up as yet another reason to restart the Civil War, but not today because I have things to do.  We decided to keep things contemporary, and go for a slightly thicker baseboard and NO crown molding near the ceiling to keep the eye fresh and free. Have you ever ordered baseboards online? Its very confusing.  Also I HATED about 95% of them because they're too traditional (and this comes from someone who likes WAYNE-scotting).

I took this screen shot of the baseboard I liked from Dyke's Lumber. Pretty much all of our house was planned via shared Google Docs because we both work full-time and have crazy schedules. Note to readers: if you are doing this, you should probably have someone quit their job. Preferably you.

I really liked the clean look of these tall baseboards. So we ordered them from Dyke's and the contractor picked them up hallelujah I didn't have to do that. With a coat a paint, they look pretty nice:

Internet, I don't know if we will later add some molding at the top near the ceiling. So this is how it looks for now:

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think it looks great! I love waynescotting too..but it does seem like a lot of work and perhaps money/effort....baseboard is still really nice and much easier!

    PS: I love that the lumber place is called dyke's....
    PPS: i'm 9 years old.

    ReplyDelete